The easy upgrade is designed to brighten your cooking space. Here’s why.
If you are in the middle of remodeling or updating your kitchen, you’ve probably considered installing under cabinet lighting. This type of light can make your home’s lighting design simple to striking, as well as go a long way when it comes to increasing the overall value of your home. Before you can truly decide if under cabinet lighting is the best solution for your kitchen, it’s wise to familiarize yourself with what it is, the options available, and the various benefits you may receive after installing them.
Types of Under Cabinet Lighting
There are a couple of different options for you to choose from when deciding on your under-cabinet lighting. You can choose to install hard-wired, plug-in, or battery-operated under-cabinet lighting.
- Hard-Wired – You can turn the lights on by a pre-existing switch, but they are also the most expensive option.
- Plug-in – You will have a switch on the light bar or pucks themselves, which ends up being a modest cost.
- Battery-Operated – These will have to be turned on individually, and you will need to replace the batteries occasionally.
The next thing that you need to decide before committing to this project is which format of lighting would benefit you the most. The two most common formats to choose from are bar or puck.
- Light bars are rectangular and shed light over larger areas.
- Pucks are small, round and concentrate light into a smaller area.
Types of Lights:
You also have to choose between what type of light you want to use. The choices include LED, incandescent light and halogen bulbs. All three types of bulbs have their own set of advantages. However, there’s little dispute that LED offers the most benefits. Regardless, it’s up to you to decide what will work best for your kitchen.
5 Benefits of Under Cabinet Lighting
If you are still on the fence about whether to invest the time and money into this type of home lighting, here are a few reasons why you should consider it.
1. Efficiently lighting for you when you working on the countertop. If you’re working under overhead lighting alone, you’ll likely have a lot of shadows precisely where you’re holding that sharp knife. So an under-cabinet light can increase the quality of light in your kitchen by providing light specifically where you’re cooking.
2. Give people more home feeling. Lighting up the countertop directly makes for a much more pleasant work environment.
3. Easy to install. Whether you’re installing under cabinet lighting during a kitchen renovation or after the fact, the process is extremely easy to do.
4. save you money on your energy bill. You’ll be able to light up the workspace without turning on the lights in the whole room. These savings increase if you choose LED lights and put different sections of lighting on different switches. The average LED light bulb that is used 5 hours per day will save $10-$20 dollars per year in energy costs versus an incandescent bulb.
5. A beautifully lit kitchen will increase the value of your home. This means, if they are installed correctly, this type of lighting can make a room shine.This is one of easiest DIY projects that real estate agents suggest as a way to instantly improve the value of your home.
2 thoughts on “Is under cabinet lighting worth it?”
I loved that you said that you can make a room shine that can improve the value of your home when you said consider installing under cabinet lighting. My husband and I will surely consider this because we are planning to renovate our kitchen to prepare for selling in October. We will be sure to speak with a reliable electrical contractor one of these days.
really happy this idea can help you.